Admins can execute SQL direct to the database.
Warning: direct database manipulation can result in data loss and an unusable application!
- Backup the database (Export) and download it in case you lose data or crash the application
- Create a local database with the backup and test the SQL on this local version first
- If there is no recent backup (maximal one day old), the SQL function is not available
Keep in mind¶
- It’s a simple but very powerful feature. Unlike the rest of the application there are no safeguards to prevent e.g. total data loss and/or making the application unusable.
- If data is lost and/or the application crashes it can be fixed only with server and database access. Depending on the situation fixing the problem could take some time.
- A transaction (BEGIN, COMMIT) is automatically build around your statement
- Don’t refresh the page (e.g pressing F5) because this will execute the statement again.
- You can use multiple statements (every statement has to be terminated with “;”) but only the result of the last one will be displayed.
After clicking on Execute the result of the last query is shown below depending on the statement:
- SELECT - the row count and the (not very readable) query result
- INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE - the affected row count
- Error - there is nothing to worry about because the transaction executes the statement(s) only if there is no error.